A daring, rather thoughtless thief once stole a car of the police chief. The police immediately started an investigation and on the basis of witness depositions, four suspects were arrested that were seen near the car at the time of the crime. Because the chief of police took the case very seriously, he decided to examine the four suspects personally using a lie detector. Each suspect gave three statements during the examinations, as follows:
1. In high-school I was in the same class as suspect C.
2. Suspect B has no driving license.
3. The thief didn't know that it was the car of the chief of police.
1. Suspect C is the guilty one.
2. Suspect A is not guilty.
3. I never sat behind the wheel of a car.
1. I never met suspect A until today.
2. Suspect B is innocent.
3. Suspect D is the guilty one.
1. Suspect C is innocent.
2. I didn't do it.
3. Suspect A is the guilty one.
With so many contradicting statements, the chief of police lost track. To make things worse, it appeared that the lie-detector didn't quite work yet as it should, because the machine only reported that exactly four of the twelve statements were true, but not which ones.
Now the big Question : Who is the thief??---
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Daring Thoughtless Thief Puzzle
Daring Thoughtless Thief Riddle